J.D. Transfer Students
Thank you for your interest in applying to Villanova University School of Law as a transfer student. To apply as a transfer applicant, you must complete your first year of law school as a full-time student at an American Bar Association- (ABA-) accredited law school.
The following information should assist you in the application process:
- The law school you are currently attending must be ABA-accredited, and you must have successfully completed the equivalent of the first year of full-time law study by the time you transfer.
Apply Online - The Admissions Office requires online applications. Applicants must complete all sections of the application. Should you require access to a PDF or hard-copy of our application, please contact the Admissions Office at 610-519-7010.
- The $75, nonrefundable application fee can only be paid online by credit card. Applications should be submitted prior to the July 1, 2013, deadline.
- You will also need to submit a statement outlining the specific circumstances involved in your wishing to attend Villanova University School of Law.
- You are required to send a copy of your resume.
- An official transcript from your current law school is required.
- You must also supply a letter from the appropriate dean at your school indicating that you are currently in good academic standing and eligible to continue your studies. This letter should also indicate that there are no disciplinary actions either pending or expected to be brought against you.
- If available, information regarding your class rank should also be sent.
- We will also need a copy of your LSAC Credential Assembly Service report. You may also request that your law school send a copy of the first page of the Credential Assembly Service report.
You will be informed by mail in late July/early August 2013 of the decision on your application.
After acceptance as a transfer student, you will need to meet with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The Associate Dean will assist you in selecting and setting up your class schedule. You will also need to submit an official copy of your final undergraduate transcript and law school transcript to the Registrar's Office.
Transfer students are required to pay all applicable Villanova University School of Law fees and tuition. You are also eligible for honors and participation in the Journal and moot court open competitions. More information about this will be provided at orientation in August 2013.
Villanova will only accept credit for transfer from ABA accredited law schools.
Students Transferring to Villanova University School of Law
All credits earned in the first year of law school will transfer to Villanova for students admitted as transfer students, except as provided below.
Villanova Students Taking Courses at Another Law School
Permission from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs is required before a student may take courses at another accredited law school. This includes summer programs and courses taken during the regular school year. It is highly unusual that more than six credits will be approved for transfer from a summer program.
Other than our established joint programs (JD/MBA, JD/MPA, JD/LLM and our Summer Rome Study Abroad Program with the University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minneapolis)), we have no agreements between schools governing the transfer of credit (articulation agreements).
Villanova will only accept credit or credits for a course in which the student achieves a grade of C, its equivalent, or better.