Norman J. Shachoy Symposium
Villanova Law Review Norman J. Shachoy Symposium 2013
Assessing the CISG and Other International Endeavors to Unify International Contract Law:
Has the Time Come for a New Global Initiative to Harmonize and Unify International Trade?
On January 18, Villanova University School of Law brought together global authorities on the subject of international sales law– from Australia, Austria, China, England, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United States–for its annual Villanova Law Review Norman J. Shachoy Symposium. Symposium participants debated whether the United Nations should, as the Government of Switzerland has proposed, undertake a study to consider drafting a new convention on international sales law.
Panelists and organizers of the Villanova Law Review Norman J. Shachoy Symposium
Pictured (l to r): Brian Boyle, Editor-in-Chief, Villanova Law Review; Luca Castellani, Director
of the UNCITRAL Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific; Anna Veneziano, Deputy Secretary
General, International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT); John Y. Gotanda,
Dean and Professor of Law, Villanova University School of Law; Norman J. Shachoy ’61; and Keith
Loken, Assistant Legal Adviser for Private International Law, Office of the Legal Adviser, United
States Department of State
The United States Department of State, as well as top officials from UNIDROIT (the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law) and UNCITRAL (the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law) also participated, offering a broad spectrum of viewpoints on proposed changes to the CISG (Convention on the International Sale of Goods). Meetings of the CISG Advisory Council, a ‘private initiative [aimed] at promoting a uniform interpretation of the CISG,’ were also held in conjunction with the symposium.
This year’s program was co-sponsored by the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law, American Society of International Law, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Philadelphia Bar Association, Global Philadelphia, New York State Bar Association International Section, and Transnational Dispute Management.
- Yesim Atamer, Professor of Law, Istanbul Bilgi University; Vice Director, European Union Institute , Istanbul Bilgi University
- Albert Bloomsbury, Co-Chair, International contract and Commercial Law Committee, New York State Bar Association International Section
- Michael Bridge, Cassel Professor of Commercial Law, London School of Economics
- Luca Castellani, Director of the UNCITRAL Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific
- Sieg Eiselen, Professor of Private Law, University of South Africa
- Harry Flechtner, Professor of International and Domestic Commercial Law, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Henry Gabriel, Professor of Law, Elon School of Law; Member, Governing Council of the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT)
- Alejandro Garro, Adjunct Professor of Law and Senior Research Scholar, Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law, Columbia University School of Law
- John Y. Gotanda, Dean and Professor, Villanova University School of Law
- Keith Loken, Assistant Legal Adviser for Private International Law, U.S. State Department
- Alejandro Osuna, Adjunct Professor, Universidad Iberoamericana Tijuana; Osuna Gonzáles y Asociados, S.C.
- Jan Ramberg, Professor Emeritus, University of Stockholm; former Chairman, CISG Advisory Council
- Dr. Djakhongir Saidov, Professor of International Sales Law, University of Birmingham and Birmingham Law School
- Dr. Ulrich Schroeter, Professor of Private Law, International Corporate Law and European Business Law, University of Mannheim
- Dr. Ingeborg Schwenzer, Professor of Private and Comparative Law, University of Basel
- Han Shiyuan, Professor of Civil Law, Tsinghua University School of Law; Director, European and Comparative Law Center, Tsinghua University
- Hiroo Sono, Professor of Law, Hokkaido University
- Lisa Spagnolo, Assistant Lecturer in Property Law, Monash University
- Renaud Sorieul, Secretary, UNCITRAL; Director, International Trade Law Division, United Nations Office of Legal Affairs
- Anna Veneziano, Deputy Secretary General, UNIDROIT; Professor, University of Teramo
- Pilar Perales Viscasillas, Chair of Commercial Law, University Carlos III of Madrid
- Peter Winship, Professor of International and Domestic Commercial Law, SMU Dedman School of Law
The annual Villanova Law Review Symposium is named for Norman J. Shachoy, in recognition of his generous support of Villanova University School of Law.