Professor Risch on the Apple-Samsung Verdict
On August 24, a federal jury determined that Samsung infringed upon Apple’s patents for smartphone and tablet technologies, awarding Apple nearly $1.05 billion in damages.
Following the verdict, Villanova University School of Law Associate Professor and intellectual property expert Michael Risch provided legal analysis on the case to media outlets around the world, including Bloomberg BusinessWeek, CNN Money/Fortune, KCBS Radio—San Francisco, and The World Today/ABC News Radio Australia.
“The Apple v. Samsung verdict has, perhaps unexpectedly, sent shockwaves throughout business and technology media reporting throughout the world,” Professor Risch remarked. “Whether the cause is Apple's lopsided victory, risk to Google's Android operating system, or concern about customer pricing and feature availability, one thing is a sure bet: the smartphone wars have reached the mainstream.”
For further commentary, read Professor Risch’s blog post on madisonian.net here.
Professor Risch was quoted in the following media coverage of Apple v. Samsung:
- “Analysts, Investors Comment on Apple-Samsung Verdict,” Bloomberg BusinessWeek, August 24, 2012.
- “Apple v. Samsung: Did the jury blow the Galaxy Tab verdict?,” CNN Money/Fortune, August 26, 2012.
Radio Interview on Apple v. Samsung, KCBS Radio-San Francisco, August 24, 2012.
- “Legal experts ponder Apple's win over Samsung,” The World Today/ABC News Radio Australia, August 27, 2012.
- “Samsung Facing Product Delays After Apple Wins U.S. Jury Verdict,” San Francisco Chronicle, August 24, 2012.
- “Samsung faces long product delays, says expert,” TechRadar, August 26, 2012.
- “Jury in Apple v. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With this Picture?,” GrokLaw, August 25, 2012
- “Apple Wins $1B Jury Verdict, Samsung May Face Product Delays As Consequence,” Mobile & Apps, August 26, 2012.
- “Samsung Hopes to Lift Ban on Galaxy Tab,” I Programmer, August 27, 2012.
- “Apple-Samsung Patent Case Ends with $1B Verdict,” Info Packets, August 27, 2012.
- “Samsung could face product delays after decisive Apple victory,” Tweak Town, August 27, 2012.
- “Apple Verdict May Force Samsung Product Re-Designs, Delay Launches,” Atlanta Black Star, August 25, 2012.
- “Samsung facing product delays,” Khaleej Times, August 26, 2012.
- “Samsung Might Have To Delay New Phone And Tablet Launches After Losing To Apple,” Business Insider, August 25, 2012.
- “Apple's big win against Samsung threatens Google too,” Digital Journal, August 25, 2012.
- “Samsung Might Have To Delay New Phone And Tablet Launches After Losing To Apple,” Embargo Zone, August 25, 2012.
- “Apple demands a quickie, aims its torpedo at 8 Samsung mobes,” The Register (UK), 8/28/12.